Pneumonia due to Aspiration Outlook
What to expect with aspiration pneumonia:
- The outlook depends on the underlying cause and severity of the aspiration.
- About 5% of those with aspiration pneumonia die from the disease.
Continue to Pneumonia due to Aspiration Complications
- Bynum LJ, Pierce AK: Pulmonary aspiration of gastric contents. Am Rev Respir Dis 1976 Dec; 114(6): 1129-36. 
- Huxley EJ, et al: Pharyngeal aspiration in normal adults and patients with depressed consciousness. Am J Med 1978 Apr; 64(4): 564-8. 
- Matthay MA, Rosen GD: Acid aspiration induced lung injury. New insights and therapeutic options. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996 Aug; 154: 277-8. 
- Shigemitsu H, Afshar K. Aspiration pneumonias: under-diagnosed and under-treated. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2007 May;13(3):192-8.