Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care cough in adults cough in children fever in adults fever in children warning signs wheezing Complications Underlying Cause Transmission Anatomy
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Cough in Children
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Use throat lozenges, but do not use them in children under 5 years of age.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
|Childs Weight||Dextromethorphan Dose|
|22 lb (10 kg)||5 mg every 8 hrs|
|33 lb (15 kg)||7.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|44 lb (20 kg)||10 mg every 8 hrs|
|55 lb (25 kg)||12.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|66 lb (30 kg)||15 mg every 8 hrs|
|88 lb (40 kg)||20 mg every 8 hrs|
|110 lb (50 kg)||25 mg every 8 hrs|
|132 lb-adult (60 kg)||30 mg every 8 hrs|
Cough medication precautions:
- Contact your doctor before using cough medicine in a child less than 6 years old.
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce the child's ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness.
- Talk to the doctor before you give cough medicine to a child who has asthma, lung disease, heart disease or kidney disease.
Continue to Pneumocystis Pneumonia Fever in Adults
PubMed Pneumocystis Pneumonia References
- Benfield TL, Helweg-Larsen J, Bang D, Junge J, Lundgren JD. Prognostic markers of short-term mortality in AIDS-associated Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Chest. 2001 Mar;119(3):844-51. 
- Morris A, Lundgren JD, Masur H, et al. Current epidemiology of Pneumocystis pneumonia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 Oct;10(10):1713-20. 
- Peterson JC, Cushion MT. Pneumocystis: not just pneumonia. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2005 Aug;8(4):393-8. 
- Wohl AR, Simon P, Hu YW, Duchin JS. The role of person-to-person transmission in an epidemiologic study of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. AIDS. 2002 Sep 6;16(13):1821-5.