Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care cough in adults cough in children fever in adults fever in children warning signs wheezing Complications Underlying Cause Transmission Anatomy
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Cough in Adults
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Raise the head of your bed at night and sleep on your left side: this minimizes acid reflux.
- Use throat lozenges.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
Cough medication precautions:
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce your ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness. Do not take cough medication if you plan to drive or operate machinery.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not take cough medication if you take sedatives or medication for depression.
- Talk to your doctor before you take cough medicine if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart disease or high blood pressure.
Continue to Pneumocystis Pneumonia Cough in Children
PubMed Pneumocystis Pneumonia References
- Benfield TL, Helweg-Larsen J, Bang D, Junge J, Lundgren JD. Prognostic markers of short-term mortality in AIDS-associated Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Chest. 2001 Mar;119(3):844-51. 
- Morris A, Lundgren JD, Masur H, et al. Current epidemiology of Pneumocystis pneumonia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 Oct;10(10):1713-20. 
- Peterson JC, Cushion MT. Pneumocystis: not just pneumonia. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2005 Aug;8(4):393-8. 
- Wohl AR, Simon P, Hu YW, Duchin JS. The role of person-to-person transmission in an epidemiologic study of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. AIDS. 2002 Sep 6;16(13):1821-5.