Prevention of bubonic plague may include:
- Do not handle dead wild animals.
- Avoid contact with rodents.
- Avoid insect bites and stings.
- Wear long sleeve shirts and pants, and a hat.
- Wear insect repellent clothing.
- Use insect repellents on clothing and exposed skin.
- Insect repellents that contain DEET
- Insect repellents that contain permethrin
- Check your skin and clothing for insects after being outdoors.
- Shower after going into the woods.
- Treat pets for fleas and ticks.
Continue to Plague Outlook
- Cobbs CG, Chansolme DH. Plague. Dermatol Clin. 2004 Jul;22(3):303-12, vi. 
- Duncan CJ, Scott S. What caused the Black Death? Postgrad Med J. 2005 May;81(955):315-20. 
- Kool JL. Risk of person-to-person transmission of pneumonic plague. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Apr 15;40(8):1166-72. 
- Lazarus AA, Decker CF. Plague. Respir Care Clin N Am. 2004 Mar;10(1):83-98.