Pigment Loss in the Skin Underlying Cause
The underlying cause for vitiligo is unknown. Skin cells fail to produce the pigment that colors the skin, called melanin.
Continue to Pigment Loss in the Skin Anatomy
- Arroyo MP, Tift L. Vitiligo therapy: where are we now? J Drugs Dermatol. 2003 Aug;2(4):404-8. 
- Boissy RE, Manga P. On the etiology of contact/occupational vitiligo. Pigment Cell Res. 2004 Jun;17(3):208-14. 
- Dogra S, Parsad D, Handa S, Kanwar AJ. Late onset vitiligo: a study of 182 patients. Int J Dermatol. 2005 Mar;44(3):193-6. 
- Kostovic K, Pasic A. New treatment modalities for vitiligo: focus on topical immunomodulators. Drugs. 2005;65(4):447-59. 
- Mason CP, Gawkrodger DJ. Vitiligo presentation in adults. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2005 Jul;30(4):344-5.