FAQ for Physicians
What is FreeMD.com?
FreeMD.com is service that helps consumers make important health decisions. It is powered by a revolutionary, physician-written computer program that performs symptom triage. The program analyzes more than 3,000 symptoms, injuries, vital signs, and lab data across all age groups.
FreeMD.com answers the following questions for consumers:
- What could be causing my symptoms?
- When do I need to see a doctor?
- Where should I go for care?
- How can I care for myself until I see the doctor?
What does FreeMD.com do?
FreeMD.com performs triage, sorting cases into three major groups:
- Those that require emergent or urgent physician intervention now
- Those that require a non-urgent physician evaluation
- Those that can be cared for at home
Those cases that require a non-urgent physician evaluation are sorted into four subgroups:
- Those that can be seen within 8 hours
- Those that can be seen within 24 hours
- Those that can be seen within 3 days
- Those that can be seen within 2 weeks
FreeMD.com also identifies the most appropriate location for care, such as:
- Emergency Room
- Urgent Care Center
- Physician Office
- Dentist Office
Does FreeMD.com create a patient record?
No. FreeMD.com generates a report at the end of triage and allows the user to:
- Save the report as a file on their computer
- Print the report to bring to the doctor
- E-mail the report to themselves
- E-mail the report to the doctor
Each report contains a detailed medical history, using medical terminology.
How does FreeMD.com help my practice?
As a 24/7 resource for your patients, freeMD.com:
- Reduces after-hours phone calls
- Reduces office interruptions during the day
- Helps you better serve the needs of your existing patients
FreeMD offers you an inexpensive way to build e-services into your practice. FreeMD also identifies uncomplicated cases that could be handled by a physician over the phone or by e-mail. Best of all, there is nothing to set up, simply tell your patients to e-mail their FreeMD reports to you!
FreeMD triage reports:
- Allows you to schedule patients according to urgency
- Provides you with the option to treat uncomplicated cases over the phone or by e-mail
- Notifies you of medical emergencies that require ER visits
Does FreeMD.com save information about my practice?
FreeMD.com does not save personal information about physicians.
Does FreeMD.com save information about my patients?
FreeMD.com does not collect or store any information that could be used to personally identify patients. Patient records are not saved by the FreeMD.com system.
Does FreeMD.com have a proven track record?
Yes. DSHI Systems provides the technology behind freeMD.com. DSHI Systems software solutions have been used by healthcare professionals for more than 12 years. Currently, the technology is used to direct care for 50 million people.
- Click here to see how the technology is used by the US Department of Veterans Affairs for the past 10 years.
- Click here to see how our solutions are used by the University of Central Florida Student Health Services.
Who authored the content in freeMD.com?
The FreeMD.com site is 100 percent written and maintained by physicians. DSHI physician staff update the content quarterly.
- Click here for more information on the medical authors.