Pertussis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of whooping cough.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What can I do to reduce my risk for having whooping cough again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Pertussis Specialist
- Altunaiji S, Kukuruzovic R, Curtis N, Massie J. Antibiotics for whooping cough (pertussis). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jan 25;(1):CD004404. 
- Pillay V, Swingler G. Symptomatic treatment of the cough in whooping cough. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(4):CD003257. 
- Watanabe M, Nagai M. Whooping cough due to Bordetella parapertussis: an unresolved problem. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2004 Jun;2(3):447-54.