Personality Disorder Treatment
Treatment for a personality disorder depends on the type of personality disorder. Treatment for a personality disorder may include mental health counseling, a support group, anti-anxiety medications, and antidepressant medications, such as tricyclic antidepressants or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Specific treatment for personality disorder may include:
- Support group for personality disorder
- Mental health counseling for personality disorder
- Antianxiety medications
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants:
- Fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Paroxetine (Paxil)
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- Tricyclic antidepressant:
- Clomipramine (Anafranil)
- Antipsychotic medications
For more information:
- Antisocial personality disorder treatment
- Avoidant personality disorder treatment
- Borderline personality disorder treatment
- Compulsive personality disorder treatment
- Dependent personality disorder treatment
- Histrionic personality disorder treatment
- Narcissistic personality disorder treatment
- Paranoid personality disorder treatment
- Passive-aggressive personality disorder treatment
- Schizoid personality disorder treatment
Personality Disorder Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of a personality disorder.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- Do I need medication?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- Will I need therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for depression?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Personality Disorder Specialist
Continue to Personality Disorder Home Care
- Cassin SE, von Ranson KM. Personality and eating disorders: A decade in Clin Psychol Rev. 2005 Aug 12. 
- Johnson JG, Cohen P, Kasen S, Brook JS. Personality disorders evident by early adulthood and risk for anxiety disorders during middle adulthood. J Anxiety Disord. 2005 Jul 26. 
- Shedler J, Westen D: Refining personality disorder diagnosis: integrating science and practice. Am J Psychiatry 2004 Aug; 161(8): 1350-65.