Personality Disorder Obsessive Compulsive Treatment
Treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder often includes avoidance of alcohol, avoidance of caffeine, support group, mental health counseling, and medications. The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants and the tricyclic antidepressants are the most widely used for obsessive compulsive disorder.
Specific treatment options for obsessive compulsive disorder include:
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Support group for obsessive compulsive disorder
- Mental health counseling for obsessive compulsive disorder
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Patient education and family support
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants:
- Fluoxetine (Prozac)
- Paroxetine (Paxil)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- Tricyclic antidepressant:
Personality Disorder Obsessive Compulsive Drugs
Medications used for the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder include:
Personality Disorder Obsessive Compulsive Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- Do I need medication?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- Will I need therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for worsening symptoms?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Personality Disorder Obsessive Compulsive Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat obsessive compulsive disorder:
- Lewin AB, Storch EA, Adkins J, Murphy TK, Geffken GR. Current directions in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Pediatr Ann. 2005 Feb;34(2):128-34. 
- Sasson Y, Dekel S, Nacasch N, Chopra M, Zinger Y, Amital D, Zohar J. Posttraumatic obsessive-compulsive disorder: a case series. Psychiatry Res. 2005 Jun 15;135(2):145-52. 
- Viard A, Flament MF, Artiges E, et al. Cognitive control in childhood-onset obsessive-compulsive disorder: a functional MRI study. Psychol Med. 2005 Jul;35(7):1007-17.