Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care BP checks taking control warning signs Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
Persistent Foramen Ovale Evaluation
- Examination of the heart may reveal a heart murmur
Tests are required to make the diagnosis of atrial septal defect, and to determine its severity.
Tests that may be used to evaluate an atrial septal defect include:
Continue to Persistent Foramen Ovale Treatment
PubMed Persistent Foramen Ovale References
- Baskett RJ, Tancock E, Ross DB. The gold standard for atrial septal defect closure: current surgical results, with an emphasis on morbidity. Pediatr Cardiol. 2003 Sep-Oct;24(5):444-7. 
- Graham TP Jr, Driscoll DJ, Gersony WM, Newburger JW, Rocchini A, Towbin JA. Task Force 2: congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Apr 19;45(8):1326-33. 
- Moake L, Ramaciotti C. Atrial septal defect treatment options. AACN Clin Issues. 2005 Apr-Jun;16(2):252-66. 
- Pinto FJ. When and how to diagnose patent foramen ovale. Heart. 2005 Apr;91(4):438-40.