Peripheral Neuropathy Treatment
The treatment for peripheral neuropathy depends on the underlying cause. Treatment may include physical therapy, occupational therapy, vitamin B supplements, and medications for pain, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, narcotic pain medications, tricyclic antidepressants, and anticonvulsants.
Specific treatment may include:
- Occupational therapy for peripheral neuropathy
- Physical therapy for peripheral neuropathy
- Vitamin B supplements
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Tricyclic antidepressants for diabetic neuropathy
- Seizure medications for peripheral neuropathy
For more information:
Peripheral Neuropathy Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of peripheral neuropathy.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- Do I need medication?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for peripheral neuropathy complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Peripheral Neuropathy Specialist
Continue to Peripheral Neuropathy Home Care
- Carter GT. Rehabilitation management of peripheral neuropathy. Semin Neurol. 2005 Jun;25(2):229-37. 
- Pagnoux C, Guillevin L. Peripheral neuropathy in systemic vasculitides. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005 Jan;17(1):41-8. 
- Pratt RW, Weimer LH. Medication and toxin-induced peripheral neuropathy. Semin Neurol. 2005 Jun;25(2):204-16. 
- White CM, Pritchard J, Turner-Stokes L. Exercise for people with peripheral neuropathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004 Oct 18;(4):CD003904.