Peripheral Neuropathy Diet
General dietary recommendations for people with peripheral neuropathy include:
- Control calories:
- Eat quality fats:
- Use virgin olive oil and other unsaturated, low-cholesterol fats.
- Eat the right amount of fats, carbohydrates and protein:
- Limit your fat intake to 20 or 30 percent, but don't substitute simple carbohydrates for fat.
- Less than 7% of the day's total calories from saturated fat.
- Up to 10% of the day's total calories from polyunsaturated fat.
- Up to 20% of the day's total calories from monounsaturated fat
- Avoid fad diets:
- Eat a well-rounded diet instead.
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Avoid large and heavy meals.
- Limit cholesterol in diet:
- To less than 200 milligrams a day.
- Limit iron intake:
- Eat enough dietary fiber:
- Whole grains are best.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Reduce salt in your diet
- Optimal: no more than 2 grams per day.
- Check with your doctor about supplementing your diet with B vitamins:
Key Dietary Recommendations for Chronic Disease Prevention
|Energy (calories)||to maintain BMI < 25|
|Total fats||< or = to 30% of total daily calories|
|Saturated fats||< 7% of total daily calories|
|Polyunsaturated fats||< 10% of total daily calories|
|Monounsaturated fats||< 13% of total daily calories|
|Cholesterol||< or = to 300 mg per day|
|Dietary fiber||25-30 grams per day|
|Fiber type||3:1 insoluble to soluble fiber|
|Sodium||< or = to 1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 9-24 yrs||1,200-1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 25-50 yrs||1,000 mg per day|
|Calcium 51-65 yrs||1,200 mg per day|
|Calcium >65 yrs||1,500 mg per day|
|Vitamin D 9-50 yrs||200 IU per day|
|Vitamin D 51-70 yrs||400 IU per day|
|Vitamin D >70 yrs||600 IU per day|
|Folic acid||400 micrograms (ug) per day|
|Fruits & vegetables||5-7 servings per day|
Continue to Peripheral Neuropathy Pain Control
- Carter GT. Rehabilitation management of peripheral neuropathy. Semin Neurol. 2005 Jun;25(2):229-37. 
- Pagnoux C, Guillevin L. Peripheral neuropathy in systemic vasculitides. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005 Jan;17(1):41-8. 
- Pratt RW, Weimer LH. Medication and toxin-induced peripheral neuropathy. Semin Neurol. 2005 Jun;25(2):204-16. 
- White CM, Pritchard J, Turner-Stokes L. Exercise for people with peripheral neuropathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004 Oct 18;(4):CD003904.