Periorbital Pain Home Care
Home care for eye pain includes:
- Avoid exposure to bright light.
- Apply cold compresses:
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 1-2 hours, for the first few days.
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Ibuprofen for pain
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- Try to remove the foreign body from your eye:
- Gently rinse the eye with tap water or eyewash.
- Place your face in a bowl of water and then open and close eyes under water.
- If you have dirt under the upper lid, pull the upper lid out and draw it over the lower lid.
Periorbital Pain Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have eye pain and any of the following:
Continue to Periorbital Pain Underlying Cause
- Germann CA, Baumann MR, Hamzavi S. Ophthalmic diagnoses in the ED: optic neuritis. Am J Emerg Med. 2007 Sep;25(7):834-7. 
- Merbs SL. Management of a blind painful eye. Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2006 Jun;19(2):287-92. 
- Peate WF. Work-related eye injuries and illnesses. Am Fam Physician. 2007 Apr 1;75(7):1017-22.