Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Incidence
Facts about pelvic inflammatory disease:
- About 10 percent of women of reproductive age develop pelvic inflammatory disease.
- About 1 million women develop pelvic inflammatory disease in the US each year
- About 150,000 women are hospitalized for treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease in the US each year.
- About 20 percent of cases of pelvic inflammatory disease result in infertility.
Continue to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Risk Factors
- Banikarim C, Chacko MR. Pelvic inflammatory disease in adolescents. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis. 2005 Jul;16(3):175-80. 
- Beigi RH, Wiesenfeld HC. Pelvic inflammatory disease: new diagnostic criteria and treatment. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2003 Dec;30(4):777-93. 
- Cassell J, Kell P, Adler M. Pelvic inflammatory disease: a review. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care. 1997 Oct;3(10):20-3. 
- Wiesenfeld HC, Sweet RL, Ness RB, Krohn MA, Amortegui AJ, Hillier SL. Comparison of acute and subclinical pelvic inflammatory disease. Sex Transm Dis. 2005 Jul;32(7):400-5.