Patellar Tendon Rupture Treatment
The treatment for patellar tendon rupture is often surgical. Treatment includes rest, cold compresses, elevation, crutches, a knee splint, physical therapy, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain.
Treatment for patellar tendon rupture includes:
- Cold compresses:
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Elevate the leg:
- Above the heart if possible
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Surgery for patellar tendon rupture
- Knee immobilizer for patellar tendon rupture
- Physical therapy for patellar tendon rupture
Patellar Tendon Rupture Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of patellar tendon rupture.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my options for surgery?
- What are the risks associated with surgery?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for another patellar tendon rupture?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Patellar Tendon Rupture Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat patellar tendon rupture:
Continue to Patellar Tendon Rupture Home Care
- Enad JG. Patellar tendon ruptures. South Med J. 1999 Jun;92(6):563-6. 
- Kellersmann R, Blattert TR, Weckbach A. Bilateral patellar tendon rupture without predisposing systemic disease or steroid use: a case report and review of the literature. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2005 Mar;125(2):127-33. Epub 2005 Jan 12. 
- Maffulli N, Wong J. Rupture of the Achilles and patellar tendons. Clin Sports Med. 2003 Oct;22(4):761-76.