Treatment for parotitis depends on the underlying cause. Treatment usually include compresses, gargles, and antibiotics. Additional treatment for parotitis may include surgery to remove a stone from the parotid duct or to drain an infection.
Treatment options for parotitis include:
- Warm compresses
- Warm, salt water mouth rinses:
- Four times a day
- Antibiotics for parotitis:
- Surgery for parotitis:
- To remove a stone in the parotid gland
- To drain infected material from the parotid gland
- To remove the parotid gland
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
Parotitis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of parotitis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having parotitis again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Parotitis Home Care
- Brook I. Acute bacterial suppurative parotitis: microbiology and management. J Craniofac Surg. 2003 Jan;14(1):37-40. 
- Chitre VV, Premchandra DJ. Recurrent parotitis. Arch Dis Child. 1997 Oct;77(4):359-63. 
- Mandel L, Witek EL. Chronic parotitis: diagnosis and treatment. J Am Dent Assoc. 2001 Dec;132(12):1707-11. 
- Motamed M, Laugharne D, Bradley PJ. Management of chronic parotitis: a review. J Laryngol Otol. 2003 Jul;117(7):521-6.