Overview Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care diet taking control warning signs Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
Parathyroid Hormone Decreased Diet
- Children 3 to 8 years old: 800 mg of calcium per day
- Children 9-17 years old: 1,300 mg of calcium per day
- Adults: 1,000 to 1,500 mg of calcium per day
- Adults also need 400-600 IU of vitamin D per day
General diet for hypoparathyroidism includes:
- Eat a low fat diet.
- Eat a low salt diet
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Avoid caffeine.
- Talk to your doctor about vitamin D supplements.
- Eat foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids:
- Omega-3's are present in salmon, tuna, and mackerel.
- Walnuts and flax seed are also rich in omega3's.
- If you don't like fish, your local pharmacy has omega-3 supplements in capsule form.
- Eat a diet that is high in calcium, but low in phosphorus:
- Avoid dairy products as they are high in phosphorus
- Avoid carbonated beverages as they are high in phosphates
- Alternative sources for calcium include yogurt, salmon, broccoli, and soybeans.
Alternative Calcium Containing Food Sources
|Food||Serving Size||Calcium Per Serving|
|Sardines in oil||3 oz||370 mg|
|Yogurt||1 cup||240-400 mg|
|Canned salmon||3 oz||170-210 mg|
|American cheese||1 oz (slice)||165-200 mg|
|Broccoli||1 cup||160-180 mg|
|Soybean curd (tofu)||4 oz||145-155 mg|
|Turnip greens||1/2 cup, cooked||100-125 mg|
|Kale||1/2 cup, cooked||90-100 mg|
|Corn bread||2.5 inch square||80-90 mg|
|Egg||1 medium||55 mg|
Continue to Parathyroid Hormone Decreased Taking Control
PubMed Parathyroid Hormone Decreased References
- Garfield N, Karaplis AC. Genetics and animal models of hypoparathyroidism. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Sep;12(7):288-94. 
- Winer KK, Ko CW, Reynolds JC, Dowdy K, Keil M, Peterson D, Gerber LH, McGarvey C, Cutler GB Jr. Long-term treatment of hypoparathyroidism: a randomized controlled study comparing parathyroid hormone-(1-34) versus calcitriol and calcium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Sep;88(9):4214-20. 
- Winer KK, Yanovski JA, Sarani B, Cutler GB Jr. A randomized, cross-over trial of once-daily versus twice-daily parathyroid hormone 1-34 in treatment of hypoparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Oct;83(10):3480-6.