Parathyroid Gland is Overactive Underlying Cause
There are two main forms of hyperparathyroidism:
- Primary hyperparathyroidism:
- Caused by an over-production of parathyroid hormone by the parathyroid glands
- Usually caused by a non-cancerous parathyroid gland tumor, called a parathyroid adenoma, which produces too much parathyroid hormone.
- Secondary hyperparathyroidism:
- Caused by an illness outside of the parathyroid glands
Continue to Parathyroid Gland is Overactive Anatomy
- Damiani D, Aguiar CH, Bueno VS, Montenegro FL, Koch VH, Cocozza AM, Cordeiro AC, Dichtchekenian V, Setian N. Primary hyperparathyroidism in children: patient report and review of the literature. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Jan-Feb;11(1):83-6. 
- Reeve TS, Babidge WJ, Parkyn RF, Edis AJ, Delbridge LW, Devitt PG, Maddern GJ. Minimally invasive surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism: systematic review. Arch Surg. 2000 Apr;135(4):481-7. 
- Ruda JM, Hollenbeak CS, Stack BC Jr. A systematic review of the diagnosis and treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism from 1995 to 2003. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Mar;132(3):359-72.