Pancreas Cancer Underlying Cause
The cause of pancreatic cancer is not known, but genetics may play a role in determining risk.
Genes control all of the functions inside a cell. Special genes control how cells divide and grow. Cancer occurs when the damaged genes stimulate the cell to multiply out of control. The exact cause for this damage is unknown.
Continue to Pancreas Cancer Anatomy
- Burris HA 3rd. Recent updates on the role of chemotherapy in pancreatic cancer. Semin Oncol. 2005 Aug;32(4 Suppl 6):S1-3. 
- Farrow B, Sugiyama Y, Chen A, Uffort E, Nealon W, Mark Evers B. Inflammatory mechanisms contributing to pancreatic cancer development. Ann Surg. 2004 Jun;239(6):763-9. 
- Holly EA, Chaliha I, Bracci PM, Gautam M. Signs and symptoms of pancreatic cancer: a population-based case-control study in the San Francisco Bay area. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004 Jun;2(6):510-7. 
- Lockhart AC, Rothenberg ML, Berlin JD. Treatment for pancreatic cancer: current therapy and continued progress. Gastroenterology. 2005 May;128(6):1642-54. 
- Nothlings U, Wilkens LR, Murphy SP, Hankin JH, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN. Meat and fat intake as risk factors for pancreatic cancer: the multiethnic cohort study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Oct 5;97(19):1458-65. 
- Verma M. Pancreatic cancer epidemiology. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2005 Jun;4(3):295-301.