Painful TMJ Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of TMJ disease.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for worsening TMJ disease?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Painful TMJ Specialist
- Conti PC, Miranda JE, Araujo CR. Relationship between systemic joint laxity, TMJ hypertranslation, and intra-articular disorders. Cranio. 2000 Jul;18(3):192-7. 
- DeFabianis P. Rational and philosophic basis for a functional approach to TMJ fractures in children. Funct Orthod. 2000 Summer;17(3):20-4. 
- Deodato F, Cristiano S, Trusendi R, Giorgetti R. A functional approach to the TMJ disorders. Prog Orthod. 2003;4(2):20-37. English, Italian. 
- Mongini F, Italiano M. TMJ disorders and myogenic facial pain: a discriminative analysis using the McGill Pain Questionnaire. Pain. 2001 Apr;91(3):323-30.