Painful Neck after Injury Overview
Another name for Painful Neck after Injury is Neck Injury.
What is a neck injury?
A person with a neck injury has damage to a structure within the neck. Common neck injuries include a neck contusion, neck strain, neck sprain, and neck fracture. Common causes of neck injury include automobile accidents, falls, and sports injuries. Soft tissue neck injuries include burns, stab wounds, lacerations, abrasions, and puncture wounds.
What are the symptoms of a neck injury?
Symptoms of a neck fracture include neck pain, neck tenderness near the spine, neck swelling, neck muscle spasm, and neck stiffness. Symptoms of a serious neck fracture include arm weakness, leg weakness, arm numbness, leg numbness, loss of bladder control, loss of bowel control, and an inability to walk.
How does the doctor treat a neck injury?
Treatment for a neck injury may include cold compresses, a cervical collar, narcotic pain medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, and muscle relaxants. Neck injuries that result in an injury to the spinal cord may require treatment with corticosteroids and surgery.
Continue to Painful Neck after Injury Incidence
- Croft AC, Herring P, Freeman MD, Haneline MT. The neck injury criterion: future considerations. Accid Anal Prev. 2002 Mar;34(2):247-55. 
- Hoffman JR, Wolfson AB, Todd K, Mower WR. Selective cervical spine radiography in blunt trauma: methodology of the National Emergency X-Radiography Utilization Study (NEXUS). Ann Emerg Med. 1998 Oct;32(4):461-9. 
- Joslin CC, Khan SN, Bannister GC. Long-term disability after neck injury. a comparative study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004 Sep;86(7):1032-4. 
- Kasch H, Stengaard-Pedersen K, Arendt-Nielsen L, Staehelin Jensen T. Headache, neck pain, and neck mobility after acute whiplash injury: a prospective study. Spine. 2001 Jun 1;26(11):1246-51. 
- Kerr D, Bradshaw L, Kelly AM. Implementation of the Canadian C-spine rule reduces cervical spine x-ray rate for alert patients with potential neck injury. J Emerg Med. 2005 Feb;28(2):127-31. 
- McIntosh AS, McCrory P. Preventing head and neck injury. Br J Sports Med. 2005 Jun;39(6):314-8. Review. 
- Nederhand MJ, Hermens HJ, IJzerman MJ, Turk DC, Zilvold G. Chronic neck pain disability due to an acute whiplash injury. Pain. 2003 Mar;102(1-2):63-71.