Painful Hand (one hand) Treatment
The treatment for hand pain depends on the underlying cause.
General treatment for hand pain may include:
- Avoid activities that cause pain.
- Wound care
- Cold compresses:
- Cold compresses (and not warm) should be used during the first 3 days following an injury.
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Warm compresses
- Rest the hand:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Hand splint
- Narcotic pain medication:
- Antibiotics for hand infections:
Painful Hand (one hand) Specialist
Continue to Painful Hand (one hand) Home Care
- Doleys DM, Marino L, Howell M, Nicholson B. Pain management programs in hand therapy: a literature review and appraisal. J Hand Ther. 1997 Apr-Jun;10(2):175-82. 
- Helliwell PS. Regional musculoskeletal pain. The elbow, forearm, wrist and hand. Baillieres Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 1999 Jun;13(2):311-28. 
- Palmer KT. Regional musculoskeletal conditions: pain in the forearm, wrist and hand. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2003 Feb;17(1):113-35. 
- Wang AA, Whitaker E, Hutchinson DT, Coleman DA. Pain levels after injection of corticosteroid to hand and elbow. Am J Orthop. 2003 Aug;32(8):383-5.