Painful Ankle after Injury Types
Types of ankle injuries include:
- Ankle contusion:
- Ankle sprain:
- Stretching or tearing of the ligaments that support the ankle joint
- Ankle fracture:
- A break in one of the bones that make up the ankle joint
- Ankle dislocation:
- The bones of the ankle joint are pulled out of position
- Ankle laceration:
- Cut to the skin over the ankle
Continue to Painful Ankle after Injury Anatomy
- DiGiovanni BF, Partal G, Baumhauer JF. Acute ankle injury and chronic lateral instability in the athlete. Clin Sports Med. 2004 Jan;23(1):1-19, v. 
- Kunkel M, Miller SD. Return to work after foot and ankle injury. Foot Ankle Clin. 2002 Jun;7(2):421-8, viii. 
- McKay GD, Goldie PA, Payne WR, Oakes BW. Ankle injuries in basketball: injury rate and risk factors. Br J Sports Med. 2001 Apr;35(2):103-8.
- Pugia ML, Middel CJ, Seward SW, Pollock JL, Hall RC, Lowe L, Mahony L, Henderson NE. Comparison of acute swelling and function in subjects with lateral ankle injury. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2001 Jul;31(7):384-8.