Pain in the Elbow Treatment
The treatment for elbow pain depends on the underlying cause.
Treatment for elbow pain may include:
- Cold compresses on the elbow
- Rest the elbow
- With some conditions you may wish to wear a sling for comfort:
- Long term immobilization in a sling can lead to frozen shoulder.
- If you wear a shoulder sling for longer than two weeks make sure you perform shoulder range of motion exercises twice a day to avoid frozen shoulder.
- Elbow cast
- Elbow splint
- Physical therapy for elbow pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Narcotic pain medication
- Oral corticosteroid medications
- Corticosteroid injections for elbow pain
- Nonprescription pain rubs
For more information:
Pain in the Elbow Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat elbow pain:
Continue to Pain in the Elbow Home Care
- Doornberg JN, Ring D, Fabian LM, Malhotra L, Zurakowski D, Jupiter JB. Pain dominates measurements of elbow function and health status. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Aug;87(8):1725-31. 
- Lewis M, Hay EM, Paterson SM, Croft P. Local steroid injections for tennis elbow: does the pain get worse before it gets better?: Results from a randomized controlled trial. Clin J Pain. 2005 Jul-Aug;21(4):330-4. 
- Salyapongse A, Hatch JD. Advances in the management of medial elbow pain in baseball pitchers. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2003 Oct;2(5):276-80. 
- Wang AA, Whitaker E, Hutchinson DT, Coleman DA. Pain levels after injection of corticosteroid to hand and elbow. Am J Orthop. 2003 Aug;32(8):383-5.