Pain in the Ankle Overview
Another name for Pain in the Ankle is Ankle Pain.
What is ankle pain?
A person with ankle pain has discomfort in one of the structures of the ankle. Ankle pain is usually caused by an ankle injury, inflammation or infection.
What are the symptoms of ankle pain?
Common symptoms of ankle pain include ankle swelling, tenderness, and skin redness.
How does the doctor treat ankle pain?
Treatment for ankle pain depends on the underlying cause. Treatment of ankle pain may include pain medications, anti-inflammatories, and antibiotics.
Continue to Pain in the Ankle Symptoms
- Glazebrook MA, Paletz JL. Treatment of posttraumatic injuries to the nerves in the foot and ankle. Foot Ankle Clin. 2006 Mar;11(1):183-90, x. 
- Irving DB, Cook JL, Menz HB. Factors associated with chronic plantar heel pain: a systematic review. J Sci Med Sport. 2006 May;9(1-2):11-22. 
- Maquirriain J. Posterior ankle impingement syndrome. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2005 Oct;13(6):365-71. 
- Mizel MS, Hecht PJ, Marymont JV, Temple HT. Evaluation and treatment of chronic ankle pain. Instr Course Lect. 2004;53:311-21. 
- Salk RS, Chang TJ, D'Costa WF, Soomekh DJ, Grogan KA. Sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the ankle: a controlled, randomized, double-blind pilot study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Feb;88(2):295-302. 
- Sontheimer DL. Peripheral vascular disease: diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2006 Jun 1;73(11):1971-6.