Overview Incidence Risk Factors Evaluation body mass index waist measurement Treatment diet counting calories fad diets fat substitutes low fat diet drugs diethylpropion orlistat phendimetrazine phentermine exercise goal setting specialist surgery Home Care healthy diet fiber taking control warning signs Outlook Complications Underlying Cause
Facts about obesity:
- Over 50 percent of Americans are overweight.
- Over 30 percent of Americans are obese.
- Obesity is more common in women than in men.
- Obesity contributes to more than 300,000 deaths each year in the US.
- Health care costs for obese adults in America have risen to over $250 billion each year.
Continue to Overweight Risk Factors
PubMed Overweight References
- Cara JF, Chaiken RL.Type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. Curr Diab Rep. 2006 Jun;6(3):241-50. 
- Daskalopoulou SS, Athyros VG, Kolovou GD, Anagnostopoulou KK, Mikhailidis DP. Definitions of metabolic syndrome: Where are we now? Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2006 Jul;4(3):185-97. 
- Holmes KW, Kwiterovich PO Jr. Treatment of dyslipidemia in children and adolescents. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2005 Nov;7(6):445-56. 
- Spanier PA, Marshall SJ, Faulkner GE. Tackling the obesity pandemic: a call for sedentary behaviour research. Can J Public Health. 2006 May-Jun;97(3):255-7. 
- Tremblay A, Therrien F. Physical activity and body functionality: implications for obesity prevention and treatment. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006 Feb;84(2):149-56.