Overactive Pituitary Gland Underlying Cause
Pituitary hormones include:
- Growth hormone:
- Stimulates growth
- Thyroid stimulating hormone:
- Stimulates the thyroid gland
- Adrenocorticotropic hormone:
- Stimulates breast tissue to produce milk
The most common cause of hyperpituitarism is a non-cancerous tumor of the pituitary gland.
Types of pituitary tumors include:
- Over-production of prolactin results in hyperprolactinemia.
- Over-production of adrenocorticotropic hormone leads to Cushing's disease.
- Over-production of thyroid stimulating hormone leads to hyperthyroidism.
Continue to Overactive Pituitary Gland Anatomy
- Horvath E, Kovacs K, Scheithauer BW. Pituitary hyperplasia. Pituitary. 1999 May;1(3-4):169-79.