Otosclerosis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of otosclerosis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Do I need a hearing aid?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- Do I need medication?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Will I need to learn how to read lips?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk of hearing loss?
- Are my children at risk for this condition?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Otosclerosis Specialist
- Menger DJ, Tange RA. The aetiology of otosclerosis: a review of the literature. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 2003 Apr;28(2):112-20. 
- Quaranta N, Bartoli R, Priore AL, Fernandez-Vega S, Giagnotti F, Quaranta A. Cochlear implantation in otosclerosis. Otol Neurotol. 2005 Sep;26(5):983-7. 
- Swartz JD. The otodystrophies: diagnosis and differential diagnosis. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2004 Aug;25(4):305-18.