Ostomy Skin Problem Daily Activities
Activities of daily living in those with intestinal ostomies include:
- Bathing and showering with an ostomy:
- The appliance bag and stoma are not affected by water.
- You may clean the stoma and change the appliance bag in the shower.
- Exercise with an ostomy:
- Avoid contact sports that might injure the stoma.
- Sexual activity with an ostomy:
- After 4-6 weeks, you can resume normal sexual activity.
- Prior to intercourse, the bag should be emptied and rolled up.
- Traveling with an ostomy:
- Pack adequate ostomy supplies with you at all times.
Continue to Ostomy Skin Problem Diet
- Carey TS, Hanson L, Garrett JM, Lewis C, Phifer N, Cox CE, Jackman A. Expectations and outcomes of gastric feeding tubes. Am J Med. 2006 Jun;119(6):527.e11-6. 
- Israelsson LA. Preventing and treating parastomal hernia. World J Surg. 2005 Aug;29(8):1086-9. 
- Tracey DL, Patterson GE. Care of the gastrostomy tube in the home. Home Healthc Nurse. 2006 Jun;24(6):381-6. 
- Yeo H, Abir F, Longo WE. Management of parastomal ulcers. World J Gastroenterol. 2006 May 28;12(20):3133-7.