Treatment for osteosarcoma usually includes some combination of chemotherapy and surgery to remove the tumor.
Treatment options for osteosarcoma include:
- Chemotherapy for osteosarcoma
- Usually administered before and after surgery
- Doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Rubex)
- Cisplatin (Platinol, CDDP)
- Methotrexate (Folex PFS, high dose)
- Ifosfamide (Ifex)
- Medications for nausea and vomiting:
- Aprepitant (Emend)
- Dolasetron (Anzemet)
- Granisetron (Kytril)
- Metoclopramide (Reglan)
- Ondansetron (Zofran)
- Palonosetron (Aloxi)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- Promethazine (Phenergan)
- Medications to build up the white blood cells:
- Other medications administered with chemotherapy:
- Narcotic pain medication:
- Surgery for osteosarcoma
- To remove the tumor
Osteosarcoma Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of osteosarcoma.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- Are my children at risk for this condition?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat osteosarcoma:
Continue to Osteosarcoma Home Care
- Bacci G, Lari S. Current treatment of high grade osteosarcoma of the extremity: review. J Chemother. 2001 Jun;13(3):235-43. 
- Hillmann A, Ozaki T, Winkelmann W. Familial occurrence of osteosarcoma. A case report and review of the literature. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2000 Sep;126(9):497-502. 
- Nakajima H, Sim FH, Bond JR, Unni KK. Small cell osteosarcoma of bone. Review of 72 cases. Cancer. 1997 Jun 1;79(11):2095-106.