Prevention of psittacosis includes:
- Identifying the source of the infection, in order to prevent the spread of the disease:
- Exotic pet birds are usually the source for human infections.
- Poultry and turkeys in the US have also been sources for infection.
- Antibiotic treatment with doxycycline for those exposed to psittacosis.
Continue to Ornithosis Outlook
- Crosse BA. Psittacosis: a clinical review. J Infect. 1990 Nov;21(3):251-9. 
- Gregory DW, Schaffner W. Psittacosis. Semin Respir Infect. 1997 Mar;12(1):7-11. 
- Schlossberg D, Delgado J, Moore MM, Wishner A, Mohn J. An epidemic of avian and human psittacosis. Arch Intern Med. 1993 Nov 22;153(22):2594-6.