Organophosphate Poisoning Underlying Cause
Chemical insecticides that may lead to insecticide inhalation include:
- Organophosphate insecticides:
- Common in household insecticides
- Carbamate insecticides
- Organochlorine insecticides
- Hydrocarbon insecticides
Once inside the body, insecticides are toxic to the nervous system.
- Bradberry SM, Cage SA, Proudfoot AT, Vale JA. Poisoning due to pyrethroids. Toxicol Rev. 2005;24(2):93-106. 
- Pauluhn J. Overview of inhalation exposure techniques: strengths and weaknesses. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2005 Jul;57 Suppl 1:111-28. 
- Spencer J, O'Malley M. Pyrethroid illnesses in California, 1996-2002. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol. 2006;186:57-72. 
- Walker B Jr, Nidiry J. Current concepts: organophosphate toxicity. Inhal Toxicol. 2002 Sep;14(9):975-90.