Facts about umbilical cord infection:
- Umbilical cord infections occur in about 1 out 200 infants.
- An umbilical cord infection usually occurs within 9 days after birth.
Continue to Omphalitis Symptoms
- Bryanton J, Walsh D, Barrett M, Gaudet D. Tub bathing versus traditional sponge bathing for the newborn. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2004 Nov-Dec;33(6):704-12. 
- Volante E, Moretti S, Pisani F, Bevilacqua G. Early diagnosis of bacterial infection in the neonate. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2004 Nov;16 Suppl 2:13-6. 
- Vural G, Kisa S. Umbilical cord care: a pilot study comparing topical human milk, povidone-iodine, and dry care. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2006 Jan-Feb;35(1):123-8. 
- Zupan J, Garner P, Omari AA. Topical umbilical cord care at birth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3):CD001057.