New Skin Mole Treatment
A skin mole does not require treatment, unless there is a change in shape, color or size. These changes may warrant an evaluation for malignant melanoma. Cosmetic treatment for a large skin mole may include surgery to shave, or remove the mole from the skin surface.
Treatment for a skin mole may include:
- Shave excision for a mole:
- Shaving the skin to remove the mole from the surface
- Punch biopsy for a mole:
- Small hole punch is used to remove the mole
- Excisional surgery for a mole:
- An incision is made around the mole to remove the mole and surrounding skin.
New Skin Mole Specialist
Continue to New Skin Mole Home Care
- Muhn CY, From L, Glied M. Detection of artificial changes in mole size by skin self-examination. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000 May;42(5 Pt 1):754-9. 
- Seidenari S, Pellacani G, Grana C. Colors in atypical nevi: a computer description reproducing clinical assessment. Skin Res Technol. 2005 Feb;11(1):36-41. 
- Tilliss TS. Examination of skin moles. Am J Dent. 1997 Aug;10(4):164-5. 
- Weinstock MA, Nguyen FQ, Martin RA. Enhancing skin self-examination with imaging: evaluation of a mole-mapping program. J Cutan Med Surg. 2004 Jan-Feb;8(1):1-5.