The kidneys perform vital functions for the body.
- Filter waste from the bloodstream and make urine
- Regulate blood pressure
- Regulate fluid balance
- Regulate red blood cell production
- Regulate salts, such as potassium and sodium, in the bloodstream
The kidneys remove waste from the bloodstream and pass it into the urine. If the waste products are allowed to accumulate, they become toxic.
- Esteve JB, Launay-Vacher V, Brocheriou I, Grimaldi A, Izzedine H. COX-2 inhibitors and acute interstitial nephritis: case report and review of the literature. Clin Nephrol. 2005 May;63(5):385-9. 
- Evenepoel P. Acute toxic renal failure. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2004 Mar;18(1):37-52. 
- Kodner CM, Kudrimoti A. Diagnosis and management of acute interstitial nephritis. Am Fam Physician. 2003 Jun 15;67(12):2527-34.