Nail Fungus Underlying Cause
Facts about the cause of fungal nail infections:
- Fungi are normally present on the skin.
- Fungal nail infections are caused by overgrowth of the fungi on the nails.
Continue to Nail Fungus Anatomy
- Gupta AK, Lynch LE. Onychomycosis: review of recurrence rates, poor prognostic factors, and strategies to prevent disease recurrence. Cutis. 2004 Jul;74(1 Suppl):10-5. 
- Gupta AK, Ryder J, Summerbell RC. Comparison of efficacy criteria across onychomycosis trials: need for standardization. Int J Dermatol. 2003 Apr;42(4):312-5. 
- Jain S, Sehgal VN. Itraconazole versus terbinafine in the management of onychomycosis: an overview. J Dermatolog Treat. 2003 Jan;14(1):30-42. 
- Krob AH, Fleischer AB Jr, D'Agostino R Jr, Feldman SR. Terbinafine is more effective than itraconazole in treating toenail onychomycosis: results from a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Cutan Med Surg. 2003 Jul-Aug;7(4):306-11.