Myotonic Dystrophy Outlook
What to expect with muscular dystrophy:
- The outcome depends on the type of muscular dystrophy.
- Most children with this condition must wear braces by age 8.
- Most children are unable to walk and are in a wheelchair by 12 years of age.
- Severe forms of muscular dystrophy can cause progressive muscle weakness, resulting in death before age 25.
- Mild forms result in nearly normal life expectancy.
Continue to Myotonic Dystrophy Complications
- Cossu G, Sampaolesi M. New therapies for muscular dystrophy: cautious optimism. Trends Mol Med. 2004 Oct;10(10):516-20. 
- Gregorevic P, Chamberlain JS. Gene therapy for muscular dystrophy - a review of promising progress. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2003 Aug;3(5):803-14. 
- Leyten QH, Gabreels FJ, Renier WO, ter Laak HJ. Congenital muscular dystrophy: a review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 1996 Nov;98(4):267-80.