Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
The treatment for myasthenia gravis often includes acetylcholinesterase inhibitor medications, immunosuppressant medications, plasmapheresis, and surgery to remove the thymus gland.
The treatment options for myasthenia gravis include:
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors for myasthenia gravis:
- Immunosuppressants for myasthenia gravis:
- Azathioprine (Imuran)
- Immune globulin intravenous (Gamimune, Gammagard, Sandoglobulin)
- Cyclosporine A (Neoral, Sandimmune)
- Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan, Neosar)
- Mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept, Myfortic)
- Rituximab (Rituxan)
- Plasmapheresis for myasthenia gravis:
- Filters abnormal antibodies from the bloodstream
- Surgery for myasthenia gravis:
- Removal of the thymus gland for those who have a tumor of the thymus, called a thymoma
Myasthenia Gravis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of myasthenia gravis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Myasthenia Gravis Specialist
Continue to Myasthenia Gravis Home Care
- Masaoka A, Yamakawa Y, Niwa H, Fukai I, Kondo S, Kobayashi M, Fujii Y, Monden Y. Extended thymectomy for myasthenia gravis patients: a 20-year review. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996 Sep;62(3):853-9. 
- Schwendimann RN, Burton E, Minagar A. Management of myasthenia gravis. Am J Ther. 2005 May-Jun;12(3):262-8. 
- Sieb JP. Myasthenia gravis: emerging new therapy options. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2005 Jun;5(3):303-7. 
- Tireli H, Karlikaya G, Tutkavul K, Akpinar A, Okay T. Myasthenia gravis: how to treat? Acta Myol. 2004 Dec;23(3):140-5.