Muscular Dystrophy Treatment
There is no cure for muscular dystrophy. Treatment for muscular dystrophy depends on the type and severity of disease. Treatment often includes weight reduction, physical therapy, and corticosteroid medications. Gene therapy may be an option for some patients.
Treatment options for muscular dystrophy include:
- Weight loss if you are overweight
- Physical therapy for muscular dystrophy
- Corticosteroid medications for muscular dystrophy:
- Orthopedic surgery:
- Correction of skeletal abnormalities such as scoliosis, foot deformities, and joint contractures.
- Gene therapy for muscular dystrophy
- An experimental treatment that involves introducing genetic material (DNA or RNA) into a person's cells to fight disease.
- Medications for cardiac complications:
Muscular Dystrophy Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of muscular dystrophy.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Muscular Dystrophy Specialist
Continue to Muscular Dystrophy Home Care
- Cossu G, Sampaolesi M. New therapies for muscular dystrophy: cautious optimism. Trends Mol Med. 2004 Oct;10(10):516-20. 
- Gregorevic P, Chamberlain JS. Gene therapy for muscular dystrophy - a review of promising progress. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2003 Aug;3(5):803-14. 
- Leyten QH, Gabreels FJ, Renier WO, ter Laak HJ. Congenital muscular dystrophy: a review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 1996 Nov;98(4):267-80.