Mitral Valve Leak Outlook
What to expect with mitral regurgitation:
- The outlook depends on the severity of the disease and the presence of additional heart disease.
- About 65 percent of those who undergo mitral valve replacement live longer than 5 years.
- About 70 percent of those who undergo mitral valve repair live longer than 5 years.
Continue to Mitral Valve Leak Complications
- Condado JA, Velez-Gimon M. Catheter-based approach to mitral regurgitation. J Interv Cardiol. 2003 Dec;16(6):523-34. 
- Enriquez-Sarano M, Avierinos JF, Messika-Zeitoun D, Detaint D, Capps M, Nkomo V, Scott C, Schaff HV, Tajik AJ. Quantitative determinants of the outcome of asymptomatic mitral regurgitation. N Engl J Med. 2005 Mar 3;352(9):875-83. 
- Filsoufi F, Salzberg SP, Adams DH. Current management of ischemic mitral regurgitation. Mt Sinai J Med. 2005 Mar;72(2):105-15. 
- Pierard LA, Lancellotti P. The role of ischemic mitral regurgitation in the pathogenesis of acute pulmonary edema. N Engl J Med. 2004 Oct 14;351(16):1627-34.