Mitral Stenosis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for mitral stenosis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Mitral Stenosis Specialist
- Binder TM, Rosenhek R, Porenta G, Maurer G, Baumgartner H. Improved assessment of mitral valve stenosis by volumetric real-time three-dimensional echocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000 Oct;36(4):1355-61. 
- Glancy DL. Mitral stenosis: I. Anatomical, physiological, and clinical considerations. J La State Med Soc. 2003 Mar-Apr;155(2):91-5, quiz 96, 119. 
- Kabukcu M, Arslantas E, Ates I, Demircioglu F, Ersel F. Clinical, echocardiographic, and hemodynamic characteristics of rheumatic mitral valve stenosis and atrial fibrillation. Angiology. 2005 Mar-Apr;56(2):159-63. 
- Tiong IY, Novaro GM, Jefferson B, Monson M, Smedira N, Penn MS. Bacterial endocarditis and functional mitral stenosis: a report of two cases and brief literature review. Chest. 2002 Dec;122(6):2259-62. 
- Yaryura RA, Carpenter RJ Jr, Duncan JM, Wilansky S. Management of mitral valve stenosis in pregnancy: case presentation and review of the literature. J Heart Valve Dis. 1996 Jan;5(1):16-9.