Mitral Insufficiency Treatment
- Low sodium diet:
- Heart healthy diet
- Low in fat and cholesterol
- Diuretics for mitral regurgitation:
- ACE inhibitor medications for mitral regurgitation
- Inotropic agents:
- Cardiac pacemaker:
- Biventricular pacing
- Heart surgery:
Those who have had valve replacement surgery require antibiotics to prevent bacterial endocarditis before they undergo the following procedures:
- Dental procedures that may cause bleeding of the gums:
- Dental cleaning
- Dental extraction
- Root canal
- Oral surgery
- Respiratory procedures:
Antibiotics used to prevent bacterial endocarditis include:
Mitral Insufficiency Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for mitral regurgitation.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Mitral Insufficiency Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat mitral regurgitation:
Continue to Mitral Insufficiency Home Care
- Condado JA, Velez-Gimon M. Catheter-based approach to mitral regurgitation. J Interv Cardiol. 2003 Dec;16(6):523-34. 
- Enriquez-Sarano M, Avierinos JF, Messika-Zeitoun D, Detaint D, Capps M, Nkomo V, Scott C, Schaff HV, Tajik AJ. Quantitative determinants of the outcome of asymptomatic mitral regurgitation. N Engl J Med. 2005 Mar 3;352(9):875-83. 
- Filsoufi F, Salzberg SP, Adams DH. Current management of ischemic mitral regurgitation. Mt Sinai J Med. 2005 Mar;72(2):105-15. 
- Pierard LA, Lancellotti P. The role of ischemic mitral regurgitation in the pathogenesis of acute pulmonary edema. N Engl J Med. 2004 Oct 14;351(16):1627-34.