Mini Stroke Outlook
What to expect with TIA:
- About 1 in 10 people who have a transient ischemic attack have a stroke within 3 months.
- About half of the strokes occur in the first two days after a transient ischemic attack.
- About 3 in 10 people who have a transient ischemic attack have a stroke within 5 years.
If you have had a TIA, the following factors can increase the risk stroke:
Continue to Mini Stroke Complications
- Dijk JM, van der Graaf Y, Grobbee DE, Bots ML; SMART Study Group. Carotid stiffness indicates risk of ischemic stroke and TIA in patients with internal carotid artery stenosis: the SMART study. Stroke. 2004 Oct;35(10):2258-62. 
- Puranen J, Laakso M, Riekkinen P Sr, Sivenius J. Risk factors and antiplatelet therapy in TIA and stroke patients. J Neurol Sci. 1998 Feb 5;154(2):200-4. 
- Rothwell PM. Incidence, risk factors and prognosis of stroke and TIA: the need for high-quality, large-scale epidemiological studies and meta-analyses. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003;16 Suppl 3:2-10.