Migraine Headache Overview
What is a migraine headache?
A person with migraine headaches has recurrent, severe headaches that last for more than four hours. The exact cause of a migraine headache is unknown. About 18 percent of females and 6 percent of males suffer from migraine headaches. Usually, treatment with medications greatly reduces the frequency and severity of headaches.
What are the symptoms of a migraine headache?
Symptoms of a migraine headache include a severe headache that is usually located only on one side of the head. Additional symptoms that may occur with a migraine headache include nausea, vomiting, vision changes, and increased sensitivity to bright light or noise. Less common symptoms that occur with a migraine headache include difficulty speaking, dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, or numbness and tingling.
How does the doctor treat a migraine headache?
Treatment for a migraine headache includes medication, rest, cold compresses, and scalp massage. Medications for migraine headaches may reduce the pain during a migraine, help avoid an oncoming migraine, or reduce the frequency of migraine headaches.
Continue to Migraine Headache Incidence
- Colman I, Brown MD, Innes GD, Grafstein E, Roberts TE, Rowe BH. Parenteral dihydroergotamine for acute migraine headache: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Emerg Med. 2005 Apr;45(4):393-401. 
- Lipton RB, Bigal ME, et al. Classification of primary headaches. Neurology. 2004 Aug 10;63(3):427-35. 
- Lipton RB, Bigal ME, Goadsby PJ. Double-blind clinical trials of oral triptans vs other classes of acute migraine medication - a review. Cephalalgia. 2004 May;24(5):321-32. 
- Manias P, Tagaris G, Karageorgiou K. Acupuncture in headache: a critical review. Clin J Pain. 2000 Dec;16(4):334-9. 
- Radat F, Swendsen J. Psychiatric comorbidity in migraine: a review. Cephalalgia. 2005 Mar;25(3):165-78. 
- Rains JC, Penzien DB, McCrory DC, Gray RN. Behavioral headache treatment: history, review of the empirical literature, and methodological critique. Headache. 2005 May;45 Suppl 2:S92-109.