Meningitis Caused by a Virus Prevention
Prevention of viral meningitis includes:
- Avoid crowded areas during outbreaks of colds and flu.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- See your doctor immediately if you are exposed to someone who has meningitis.
- Keep all vaccinations up to date.
Continue to Meningitis Caused by a Virus Outlook
- Attia J, Hatala R, Cook DJ, Wong JG. The rational clinical examination. Does this adult patient have acute meningitis? JAMA. 1999 Jul 14;282(2):175-81. 
- Khetsuriani N, Quiroz ES, Holman RC, Anderson LJ. Viral meningitis-associated hospitalizations in the United States, 1988-1999. Neuroepidemiology. 2003 Nov-Dec;22(6):345-52. 
- Romero JR, Newland JG. Viral meningitis and encephalitis: traditional and emerging viral agents. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis. 2003 Apr;14(2):72-82. 
- Rotbart HA. Viral meningitis. Semin Neurol. 2000;20(3):277-92.