Meniere's Disease Treatment
There is no cure for Meniere's disease. Medications are usually prescribed to control nausea and vertigo. Treatment of Meniere's disease may also include corticosteroids and surgery on the middle ear.
Treatment options for Meniere's disease include:
- Medications that suppress vertigo:
- Meclizine (Antivert)
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Lorazepam (Ativan)
- Promethazine (Phenergan)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine)
- Transdermal scopolamine
- Diuretic medications:
- Oral corticosteroids:
- Medications for vomiting:
- Surgery for Meniere's disease:
- Severe cases may respond to surgery on the middle ear.
Meniere's Disease Questions For Doctor
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Meniere's Disease Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat Meniere's disease:
Continue to Meniere's Disease Home Care
- Gottshall KR, Hoffer ME, Moore RJ, Balough BJ. The role of vestibular rehabilitation in the treatment of Meniere's disease. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Sep;133(3):326-8. 
- Kim HH, Wiet RJ, Battista RA. Trends in the diagnosis and the management of Meniere's disease: results of a survey. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 May;132(5):722-6. 
- Van de Heyning PH, Wuyts F, Boudewyns A. Surgical treatment of Meniere's disease. Curr Opin Neurol. 2005 Feb;18(1):23-8.