Medulloblastoma Side Effects
Tips to control nausea and vomiting in those with medulloblastoma include:
- Avoid stomach irritants such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid exposure to unpleasant odors.
- Drink cool beverages throughout the day. Try un-sweetened tea or flat sodas.
- Don't force yourself to eat at standard times. Eat when you are hungry instead.
- Concentrate on eating a healthy diet. Avoid junk foods.
- Eat more frequent, smaller meals.
- Relax in comfortable clothes after meals, but don't lie flat.
- Try relaxation techniques such as meditation.
- Ask your doctor or nutritionist about liquid dietary supplements.
- Ask your doctor about acupressure or acupuncture.
- Ask your doctor if any medications you may be taking can cause nausea or vomiting.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed. Medications used for nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy include:
Irritation of the lining of the mouth and intestinal tract is called mucositis. Home care measures for mucositis include:
- Stop smoking
- Avoid hot, spicy and irritating foods.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Maintain good oral and dental hygiene with daily brushing, flossing and regular visits to your dentist.
- Try a soft diet.
- Try Chloraseptic or Cepacol spray, gargles or lozenges.
- Try Orabase B or Oral Balance topical dental paste.
- Try rinsing your mouth or gargling several times a day with a solution of one of the following:
- Salt water
- Baking soda
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) elixir or lozenges
- Dilute chlorhexidine (Peridex or Periogard) solution
- Dilute milk of magnesia or Maalox
- Use any prescribed medications for mucositis as directed. These may include:
Continue to Medulloblastoma Taking Control
- Brandes AA, Paris MK. Review of the prognostic factors in medulloblastoma of children and adults. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2004 May;50(2):121-8. 
- Calaminus G, Janssen G, Lenard HG, Bock WJ, Reifenberger G, Schmitt G, Gobel U. Combined therapy of medulloblastoma: review of 46 patients treated in a single institution. Neuropediatrics. 1998 Apr;29(2):102-7. 
- Salvati M, Cervoni L. Medulloblastoma in late adults. Case report and critical review of the literature. J Neurosurg Sci. 2000 Dec;44(4):230-2; discussion 232-3.