Mediterranean Fever Treatment
- Colchicine (Colcrys)
- Effectively prevents attacks
- For those who develop renal failure
- Corticosteroids: for prolonged muscle aches and fever
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Celecoxib (Celebrex)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
Mediterranean Fever Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of familial Mediterranean fever.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Mediterranean Fever Specialist
Continue to Mediterranean Fever Home Care
- Koklu S, Ozturk MA, Balci M, Yuksel O, Ertenli I, Kiraz S. Interferon-gamma levels in familial Mediterranean fever. Joint Bone Spine. 2005 Jan;72(1):38-40. 
- Lidar M, Kedem R, Mor A, Levartovsky D, Langevitz P, Livneh A. Arthritis as the sole episodic manifestation of familial Mediterranean fever. J Rheumatol. 2005 May;32(5):859-62. 
- Orbach H, Ben-Chetrit E. Familial Mediterranean fever - a review and update. Minerva Med. 2001 Dec;92(6):421-30. 
- Simon A, van der Meer JW, Drenth JP. Familial Mediterranean fever--a not so unusual cause of abdominal pain. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2005 Apr;19(2):199-213.