Prevention of mastitis includes:
- Learn how to breastfeed properly.
- Alternate breasts properly when breast feeding:
- Empty one breast before switching to the other breast.
- Change your body position for each feeding.
- Do not allow your baby to use the breast as a pacifier.
- Use a breast pump if the breast becomes engorged.
Continue to Mastitis Outlook
- Michie C, Lockie F, Lynn W. The challenge of mastitis. Arch Dis Child. 2003 Sep;88(9):818-21. 
- Norlock FE. Benign breast pain in women: a practical approach to evaluation and treatment. J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2002 Spring;57(2):85-90. 
- Osterman KL, Rahm VA. Lactation mastitis: bacterial cultivation of breast milk, symptoms, treatment, and outcome. J Hum Lact. 2000 Nov;16(4):297-302. 
- Potter B. Women's experiences of managing mastitis. Community Pract. 2005 Jun;78(6):209-12. 
- Wambach KA. Lactation mastitis: a descriptive study of the experience. J Hum Lact. 2003 Feb;19(1):24-34.