Mastitis Home Care
Home care for mastitis includes:
- Apply warm compresses:
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, 4 times a day.
- Follow your doctor's instructions regarding breast feeding.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Mastitis Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have mastitis and any of the following:
Continue to Mastitis Prevention
- Michie C, Lockie F, Lynn W. The challenge of mastitis. Arch Dis Child. 2003 Sep;88(9):818-21. 
- Norlock FE. Benign breast pain in women: a practical approach to evaluation and treatment. J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2002 Spring;57(2):85-90. 
- Osterman KL, Rahm VA. Lactation mastitis: bacterial cultivation of breast milk, symptoms, treatment, and outcome. J Hum Lact. 2000 Nov;16(4):297-302. 
- Potter B. Women's experiences of managing mastitis. Community Pract. 2005 Jun;78(6):209-12. 
- Wambach KA. Lactation mastitis: a descriptive study of the experience. J Hum Lact. 2003 Feb;19(1):24-34.